Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces frozen Crisco
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 lbs frozen cherries (with sugar)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 tablespoon milk
- For Crisco crust, combine flour and salt in food processor.
- Cut frozen Crisco shortening into chunks with knife and add to food processor.
- Process (pulse) until mixture forms fine crumbs.
- Add ice water while the machine is running and continue to run processor until dough forms on the blades.
- Remove and form dough into two balls.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- For Sour Cherry Filling, combine brown and white sugars, cinnamon and cornstarch in saucepan.
- Add cherry juice and cook until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Stir and boil the mixture for one minute.
- Add cherries and cook for one minute or until it starts to boil again.
- Remove from heat and add Crisco shortening and almond and vanilla extracts.
- Remove refrigerated dough.
- On lightly floured surface, roll bottom crust into circle 1/8" thick and about 1 1/2" larger than inverted pie plate.
- Gently,ease dough into the pie plate, being careful not to stretch the dough.
- Trim edge even with pie plate.
- Spoon cherry filling into prepared pastry.
- Roll top crust the same way as the bottom.
- Brush top crust with milk and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.