Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is sooooo good! Chocoholics out there will love it! My boyfriend's mother made this for us one night and I fell in love with it. She found the recipe in a murder mystery novel. It is incredible, I warn you, you will wants seconds, and thirds of it.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift the dry ingredients from the first list together.
- Add the liquid items from the first list and blend well.
- Pour the mixture in the an 8-inch square greased glass baking dish (a 9x7 pan works just as well).
- Combine ingredients from the second list and sprinkle over the cake mixture.
- Pour the boiling water over everything but do not stir!
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- A fudgy crust will form on top and a thick sauce forms underneath.
- Let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Goes great with some ice cream on the side!
My son loves this cake so much that he did a speech in school on how to make it. He got an A and the class inhaled the cake.
When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. My mother's house sits along the Ohio River. My husband and I joked about how if they knew what was really on the bottom of that river they would never want to eat this. I loved how easy this was to make and how interesting the technique was. The "sludge" at the bottom was the best part. I'll be making this again for all our family in Ohio.
I was told to give this cake 5 stars as I made it, but didn't get to try it. I gave it to family as a "thank you gift" They tried to save some for me to sample but said it was just too good :) So, I will be making it again. Thanks so much, it looked delicious!