Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are a few other recipes for this bar on this site, but none are quite like this. My mom came to visit with this recipe that she had clipped from the Washington Post. Really really wonderful. I found them addicting, actually. So much so that I had to send the rest to my husband's work! We used peanut butter made from honey roasted peanuts, though regular works fine too. Cooking time is cooling time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (18 ounce) jar creamy peanut butter
- 5 cups Special K cereal
- 1 (11 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large pan over medium high heat mix the sugar and syrup. Bring to a boil then remove from the heat.
- Add the peanut butter and stir to combine. Add the cereal and stir well.
- Pat the mixture into the pan and let it sit until cool to room temperature.
- Melt the two types of chips together. Cool a bit and then spread over the top of the cereal mix.
- Cool in the fridge until set. Then set out at room temperature so they are easier to cut. Store in an airtight container.
I made these for my O-Henry-loving DS as a take-home treat, I added in some dry roasted chopped peanuts also, my DS loved these! thanks lady....Kitten:)
Tasty bars. Easy to make I used regular peanut butter, but next time I want to try the honey roasted peanut butter. I loved the combination of the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Jen....I only made 1/2 the recipe cause I wasnt sure how the kids would react to eating "Mom's" Special K in what they still referred to as 'Scotcharoos' BUT they ate them down so much as I didnt even have a chance to get the camera out! They do have the same ingredients as the scotcharoos except instead of the rice krispies the special K gives them a kind of nuttier crumchier taste that was a great change of pace, esp with the extra peanut butter. Thanks for a great variation on an old favorite that next time will be made in a FULL batch!!!