1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Luvfood's Note:
Adapted from a delicious bread served at Disney's Polynesian Resort. Ohana means "family". The pineapple and coconut give it a truly tropical taste! I have found using the food processor makes the dough fool-proof, and I mix my yeast mixture in a large Pyrex measure so it is easier to pour into the processor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pineapple/Coconut Procedure.
- 2Combine drained pineapple and coconut in bowl.
- 3Combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in separate bowl and mix well.
- 4Add sugar and cornstarch mixture with pineapple/coconut mixture and mix well.
- 5Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 6Bread Procedure.
- 7Mix water, 1 tbsp sugar (from 1/3 cup), and yeast in small bowl. Let proof for 5 minutes.
- 8Add egg yolk to yeast mixture.
- 9Put flour in food processor with bread blade.
- 10Add salt, butter, and remainder of sugar and process until incorporated.
- 11While processor is running, slowly add yeast mixture through shoot in top of processor. Process until a soft ball forms and then run processor for about 2 min longer.
- 12Transfer dough to bowl coated with cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray and let rise in warm area until it doubles in size. (about 1 hour).
- 13Roll dough out onto floured surface until it is a 2" thick rectangle.
- 14Spread the pineapple/coconut mixture over top of dough.
- 15Fold dough onto itself and cut into pieces with pizza cutter.
- 16Place pieces into greased 9 x 13 pan to cover.
- 17Cover pan with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray and let rise in warm place--about 1/2 way up pan.
- 18Bake at 325°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 19Let cool, cut and serve.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 'ohana Breakfast Bread
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.5
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.2 mg
- Sodium 491.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 48.7 g
- Protein 8.5 g