Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are just the ingredients for the greatest bread pudding and banana foster sauce from Disney's Restaurant.
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 8 cups French bread
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces brown sugar
- 4 ounces corn syrup
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup spiced rum
- 1 cup banana (sliced)
- I am not sure of the directions, the post on Disney's All Ears Website was taken down (they replaced it with cheesecake)and I only wrote down the ingredients for shopping. But if anyone knows them please post them!
- Here they are:.
- TO MAKE THE BREAD PUDDING:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease large baking dish with butter.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cut bread in 1/2-inch cubes. Add bread, pineapple, coconut, and raisins (if desired) to egg-and-milk mixture. Add bread custard mixture to the greased baking dish.
- Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE BANANA FOSTERS SAUCE:.
- In a saucepan, combine dark brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and half of the heavy cream. Using high heat; bring to a rolling boil. Allow mixture to boil 10 minutes.
- Add remaining heavy cream. Let it boil additional minute.
- Now add the rum and vanilla extract. Carefully flambe pan using a long stemmed lighter. Let boil until the flame goes out. Reduce to a simmer and stir with a high heat spatula.
- Peel and slice bananas; add them to the caramel sauce. Remove the caramel from the heat and set aside.
- TO SERVE:.
- Place scoop of ice cream on top of each portion of bread pudding. Top with bananas Foster sauce.
- Recipe note:.
- Make the sauce as bread pudding is baking to have both hot and ready to serve at the same time.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
- From: Disney's Polynesian Resort.
Here are the instructions, from another site:
In bowl mix eggs, milk, salt, sugar and nutmeg. Set aside.
Cut bread in medium pieces, place on cookie sheet pan put in 350 degree oven.
Bake bread until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes. Remove bread and place in egg and milk mixture.
Place mixture in a greased 10-inch cake pan and bake at 325 degree for 1 hour.
Let stand 5 minutes, serve hot with ice cream.
Combine sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and half of heavy cream in a large pan. Bring to a boil and slowly add remaining heavy cream keeping mixture at a steady boil.
Add spiced rum and flambe.
Candy will brown slightly; cook 3 minutes until candy forms into a firm ball in cold water. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Add sliced bananas. Serve warm.
I'm making this for the second time this weekend -- it's FABULOUS and brings back yummy memories of the Poly!
This rating is for the sauce. Delicious!! I made it to put over a banana bread that I had messed up on when I was trying to experiment with it, lol. Taught me a lesson. Anyhow your sauce did my banana bread wonders, thank you for posting it.
I used this scrumptious sauce with another recipe from this site-a Caramelised banana and rum bread pudding (it suggested a chocolate rum sauce, but I preferred this sauce) and it was to die for as a combination, but this sauce is so good and easy -do be careful about the flames-they do burn pretty high, hot and long (we finally dropped a lid on it to extinguish them) but let me tell you the result was the best sauce for this bread pudding recipe that I tried and I think it would be wonderful served over ice cream too. Thank you.