Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The title speaks for itself. All I can say is mmmmmm...mmmmmmmm. A typically Southern recipe.
Make and share this Oh so Yummy Chocolate Gooey Layered Dessert recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- First layer: mix well.
- Press into 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350* for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Second layer: Beat the cream cheese and sugar together (5 minutes).
- Fold in cool whip and spread on crust.
- Third layer: Beat milk and pudding mixes slowly; spread over second layer.
- Fourth layer: Top with remaining cool whip.
- Decorate with chopped nuts, shaved chocolate or cherries.
- Chill 24 hours.
I know I'm going to have to stop giving five star reviews if I'm to be taken seriously...but this is [i]not[/i] the place to do it. This dessert was wonderful! [b]My dinner guests requested seconds![/b] It is very light, the flavors blend subtly, but it is sweet enough to please. I used cold butter, creamed it with the flour using my fingers (like a tart crust). It does crack when baked, but you don't know that when it's all put together. I made a lower fat, sugar free version using reduced fat cream cheese, lite cool whip and ff/sf pudding mix with 1% milk. The taste was not effected at all. I would definitely agree you need at least 12 oz of cool whip to get a good top layer.
This dessert was very tasty. Followed the recipe to a "T", however, my crust did not stay together too good. I was not sure if the butter should be cold, softened or melted, so I went with softened. Another problem may have been that my walnuts were chopped too large. This was a little more work than I anticipated, with 3 layers to mix and 3 bowls to wash, BUT it was apparently worth it, because everyone loved it. The layers are good, but the walnut crust really makes the dessert! Thanks for the recipe! P.S. I bought an 8 ounce tub of Cool Whip and barely had enough to frost the top. I would suggest buying a 12 ounce tub in order to have enough.
This is a wonderful dessert. Used finely chopped pecans in the crust and chocolate curls on top. Looks nice and the whole family loved it.