Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very good and rich version of mac and cheese. The cheeses can be changed out with many others to change the flavor to your preference of cheeses.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb colby cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix melted butter with the breadcrumbs.
- Cook macaroni in 4 quarts salted boiling water, al dente, then drain.
- Dry pot and melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add garlic, mustard, and cayenne pepper. Cook approximately 30 seconds.
- Add flour, cook until golden.
- Slowly add milk and broth, whisking as it is added. Simmer and whisk approximately 6 minutes. Liquid should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in cheese until melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked pasta, mix evenly.
- Place mixture in 9x13 pan, cover surface with breadcrumbs. Bake 25-30 minutes. Breadcrumbs will be brown and the edges should be bubbling.
- Cool 10 minutes.
This is comfort food at its finest! I made just as specified and it came out rich and creamy, and the buttered crumb topping was a perfect complement. I had never made homemade macaroni and cheese before and I'm so glad I found this recipe for my first try - it's delicious!