Recipe by ALH
A very good and rich version of mac and cheese. The cheeses can be changed out with many others to change the flavor to your preference of cheeses.
Top Review by loof
This is comfort food at its finest! I made just as specified and it came out rich and creamy, and the buttered crumb topping was a perfect complement. I had never made homemade macaroni and cheese before and I'm so glad I found this recipe for my first try - it's delicious!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb colby cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix melted butter with the breadcrumbs.
- Cook macaroni in 4 quarts salted boiling water, al dente, then drain.
- Dry pot and melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add garlic, mustard, and cayenne pepper. Cook approximately 30 seconds.
- Add flour, cook until golden.
- Slowly add milk and broth, whisking as it is added. Simmer and whisk approximately 6 minutes. Liquid should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in cheese until melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked pasta, mix evenly.
- Place mixture in 9x13 pan, cover surface with breadcrumbs. Bake 25-30 minutes. Breadcrumbs will be brown and the edges should be bubbling.
- Cool 10 minutes.