Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This recipe is from Rachel Ray and I love it! Simple to make and delicious!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for 2013 Zaar Cookbook tag game and DH and I were not dissapointed. I used three sweet onions and 3 regular onions (that is what I had) and gruyere cheese and followed the instructions. Delicious! Will be making this again. Thank you for posting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups beef stock
- 4 slices crusty bread, toasted
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded gruyere or 2 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a deep pot over medium to medium high heat.
- Work next to the stove to slice onions.
- Add oil and butter to the pot.
- Add onions to the pot as you slice them.
- When all the onions are in the pot, season with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme.
- Cook onions 15 to 18 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender, sweet and caramel colored.
- Add bay leaf and sherry to the pot and deglaze the pan drippings.
- Add 6 cups stock and cover pot to bring soup to a quick boil.
- Arrange 4 crocks on a cookie sheet.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Once soup reaches a boil, ladle into bowls.
- Float toasted bread on soup and cover each bowl with a mound of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining fresh thyme on cheese and place cookie sheet with soups on it under hot broiler until cheese melts and bubbles.