Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from Rachel Ray and I love it! Simple to make and delicious!
Make and share this Oh so Good French Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Heat a deep pot over medium to medium high heat.
- Work next to the stove to slice onions.
- Add oil and butter to the pot.
- Add onions to the pot as you slice them.
- When all the onions are in the pot, season with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme.
- Cook onions 15 to 18 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender, sweet and caramel colored.
- Add bay leaf and sherry to the pot and deglaze the pan drippings.
- Add 6 cups stock and cover pot to bring soup to a quick boil.
- Arrange 4 crocks on a cookie sheet.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Once soup reaches a boil, ladle into bowls.
- Float toasted bread on soup and cover each bowl with a mound of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining fresh thyme on cheese and place cookie sheet with soups on it under hot broiler until cheese melts and bubbles.
Made for 2013 Zaar Cookbook tag game and DH and I were not dissapointed. I used three sweet onions and 3 regular onions (that is what I had) and gruyere cheese and followed the instructions. Delicious! Will be making this again. Thank you for posting.
I have made this for the last few years! It is awesome! I do use 3 varieties of onions plus I double the broth! SOOO GOOD!