Recipe by Chef C.H.
We recently went to the Gaylord Texan Hotel over Christmas and had a slice of heaven in the form of a key lime pie delivered to our room. It wasn't to tart or to sweet and was oh so creamy. I was trying to recreate it for my DH birthday and hopefully got pretty close. He liked it - asked me to put some back so it wasn't totally eaten up by the family :). I also made some key lime sauce from debloves2cook Key Lime Sauce and put it on the plate as part of the presentation. Gave each plate a great look as well as a little lime kick. Cook time is refridgeration time. See the bottom of the instructions for a gluten free pie crust variation.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1.5 (21 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2⁄3 cup key lime juice (ex ( Nellie & Joe famous Key West key lime juice)
- sweetened whipped cream (to garnish) or Cool Whip (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all the ingredients and then press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9" glass pie plate.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Turn the oven down to 300.
- *~OR Use a store bought deep dish graham cracker crust~*.
- Meanwhile, whisk cream cheese, condensed milk, egg yolks and lime juice to combine.
- In a seperate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks begin to form. (When you lift up the beaters, the peaks should hold and still look glossy).
- Fold into the cream cheese/lime mixture until just combined. Don't over mix - this is what gives the pie it's fluffy texture.
- Pour into the cooled pie crust and bake for 25 minutes or until set. Pie will be solid with just a little wiggle in the middle when moved.
- Remove from oven. Cool and refridgerate until firm, at least 4 hours.
- TO SERVE:
- Garnish with whipped cream or cool whip and a little key lime sauce from debloves2cook recipe #166790.
- GF VARIATION:
- Mix 1 1/2 cups crushed gluten free chocolate chex and 5 tablespoons melted butter for the crust (Don't need to add any extra sugar because the chex is already sweetened.)
- Continue with directions above.