Recipe by COOKGIRl
I'm starting to run out of recipe names...Oh No! Not Another Salad Recipe adapted from oceanspray.com.
Top Review by French Tart
Fabulous cg! I loved the combo of flavours and it felt healthy to eat too, all of those pinenuts and cranberries! The dressing was the star of the show for me, and I had to use dried basil as mine has withered in the frost - SORRY,but it is home dried and still bright green!! In place of spinach leaves I used Roquette/Rocket/Arugula leaves and that really worked well I thought. Made for the Photo Swap in the Photo's forum and very much enjoyed thanks. FT:-) Edited to add, I also used a few other salad leaves to bulk it out and in place of fresh basil leaves, scattered a few roquette leaves on top!
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cranberry juice
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I liked a combination of dark and white balsamic)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaf (fresh only!)
- 1 dash fennel pollen (or 1 dash ground fennel)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey (read *Important Note below)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil (original used flax seed oil) or 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (original used flax seed oil)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 5 ounces red leaf lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup slivered red onion
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or 3 tablespoons toasted walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup shredded pecorino romano cheese (not pre-shredded!)
- 3 fresh basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- *Important Note: If you are using ground fennel instead of fennel pollen, add 1/2 tablespoon softened honey to the dressing.
- DRESSING: Combine cranberry juice, vinegar, basil, honey, Dijon mustard and fennel pollen in a small non-reactive bowl.
- Whisk vigorously. Whisk in both oils in a slow steady stream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- SALAD: Combine spinach, red leaf lettuce, sweetened dried cranberries, onion and nuts in large bowl.
- Drizzle salad with dressing; gently toss to coat well.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a side salad.
- TIP from the O-S website: "Add grilled shrimp for a sensational light supper.".