1/1 Photo of Oh No! No Potatoes! Stew W/ Caraway Dumplings
1 hr 10 mins
I had the stew meat thawed. I had the onions cut. I had the seasonings out. Then I realized that the potatoes were rotten and it was too late to call my husband to have him pick up potatoes on the way home. So I scoured the fridge for inspiration. DH and the kids all told me I should make this again so I'm typing it up. It should be easy to halve for a smaller family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs stewing beef (I like chuck)
- 2 onions, cut in chunks
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and cut in chunks
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef stock, heated to boiling
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1In a large, wide pot, brown stew beef and onions in oil on medium-high heat.
- 2Turn head down.Add Kitchen Bouquet, garlic, and cabbage. Cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, beef stock, salt, and bay leaves. Simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Put flour into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- 5Add oil to flour mix and stir in well, crumbling through your hands if necessary to achieve a mealy texture.
- 6Stir in the caraway seed.
- 7Stir in the milk to make a soft dough.
- 8Drop by spoonfuls onto the stew. Simmer, uncovered, for about 12-15 minutes. Cover. Simmer another 15+ minutes until the dumplings are fully cooked.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oh No! No Potatoes! Stew W/ Caraway Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.6
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 65.9 mg
- Sodium 735.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 25.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: