Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have had MANY brownies and I have to say that these are BY FAR the best brownies I have ever had (and they aren't difficult to make)!
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- cooking spray
- chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x9-inch square pan w/cooking spray.
- On the stove over medium-low heat, melt chocolate and butter in a medium pot.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla and sugar until combined.
- Add in flour, mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, and sprinkle w/chocolate chips if you want a true chocolate experience.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, cut into 16 bars.
Easy to make. A few tips - After the chocolate and butter have melted, remove the pan from the heat and mix in the eggs, vanilla and sugar until combined. In step 4 when you add the flour, mix gently just until blended. It is even ok to have a few flour streaks. For brownies, once you add the flour you want to mix it as little as possible. The longer you mix the flour the more the gluten develops and you'll end up with a tough brownie, rather than a tender brownie. I recommend adding 1/2 teaspoon salt with the flour mixture. Salt brings out the chocolate flavor. As with all brownies, be careful not to overcook. Better slightly underdone than overcooked. Thanks for the recipe!
Wonderful brownies!! These were so dense and fudgy, I think because there is no baking powder in them. I did substitute splenda for sugar. I sprinkled chocolate chips on top of the batter, and half-way through baking time, i swirled the melted chips with a fork, very pretty!
These were easy to make and very tasty, too! I didn't have the unsweetened chocolate, so, I substituted 3/4 cup of cocoa powder and 3 tbsp of butter. I also didn't have a 9x9 pan, so, I used a 8x8 and it took alot longer than 20 minutes to cook because it was pretty thick. Next time I will probably use my 11x7 pan instead, but I will definitely be making it again! I did put the chocolate chips on top and really liked the look and taste of that! Thanks for posting, Katrina!