Recipe by Baby Kato
oh lala...French Apple Pie...creamy vanilla custard, tart apples and apricot preserves...For an even more elegant appearance, twist the lattice strips as you place them on the pie. It gives your pie a 3D ribbon-like look. This special pie is worth the extra effort.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
BK this pie is wonderful! I used recipe#66929 for the pastry, this pie takes a bit of time to make but well worth the effort, it is so good, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten :)
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lbs tart apples (Cortland, Granny Smith, Pippin)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves (may substitute thick jam)
- 2 pie crusts, unbaked
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 9" pie pan with crust, cover and refrigerate.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and flour, mix well.
- Stir in milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (1-2 minutes).
- In seperate bowl beat three egg yolks.
- Beat 1/4 cup of hot sugar mixture into the egg yolks.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the sugar-flour mixture, stirring to combine well.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a bowl to cool.
- Core, peel and slice the apples, sprinkle with lemon juice.
- In a large frying pan heat 2 tbsps butter, 2 tbsps sugar, and nutmeg, add the apples and saute.
- Cook till almost tender (5 min).
- Remove from heat.
- Heat the apricot preserves in a small saucepan until melted.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour the custard into the pie shell.
- Arrange apple slices overtop of custard.
- Spread the melted apricot preserves on top of apple slices.
- Roll out remaining dough to form a 10" round.
- Cut the dough into 12 (1/2" wide) strips.
- Moisten the rim of pie shell with cold water.
- Arrange six dough strips across the pie filling, press the ends of the strips to the rim of the pie shell and trim.
- Arrange remaining strips at right angles to the first strips to form a lattice.
- Trim and crimp the edge decoratively.
- Mix egg yolk and 1 tbsp water together, brush on lattice to make crust glisten.
- (do not brush egg yolk on edge) Bake at 425 degrees for 40 minutes.