Recipe by mama_mia
This recipe has been in my family since it was first made in a small town north of Palermo, Sicily. I am exposing this family recipe because i know it will help some people be able to continue their love for pasta and still be able to stay on their diet.
Top Review by Petite Mommy
Thank you. This is easy and delicious. My husband has been to Sicily several times and loved the sauce he had. Simple can really be gourment when prepared properly. The technique is what makes this recipe special. The tips on serving are great! Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 32 ounces tomato sauce
- salt (To desired flavor)
- pepper (To desired flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop your 1/2 medium onion.
- Take a medium size pot and simmer together your chopped onions and oil over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Pour in your tomato sauce and stir well.
- let your sauce come to a boil for at least a half an hour.
- ****(Please stir frequently or your sauce will stick to the bottom of the pot and eventually burn.).
- reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in your desired amount of salt and pepper.
- cook for an additional half an hour.
- After at least an hour of cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil for your pasta.
- Let the sauce cook until pasta is drained and ready.
- Scoop some sauce into your drained pasta to coat.
- Serve with a scoop of pasta sauce ontop and enjoy!
- *You can add anything to this base pasta sauce -- we Italians sometimes will throw in cooked tender cauliflower for one dish or asparagas, or drained/fried ground beef for pasta bolognese, etc.you get the idea.