Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
"Ready, Set, Cook! Contest Entry" This is an easy prep delicious gourmet meal ideal for outdoor cooking and dining. My husband and I enjoy 4 wheel driving on the beach along the jersey shore and through the pine barrens. We were looking for something to bring along that was easy yet delicious, we experimented with meals that we would normally make at home on the gas grill and found this delicious sandwich fit the bill every time. Feel free to add on left over thinly sliced meats and poultry of your choice .
- 1⁄2 loaf crusty bread (4 thick slices)
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in 1/2
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, cut in thin slices
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, cut in thin slices
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (left whole)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (leaves removed from stem)
- 4 basil leaves (left whole)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- Supplies needed:.
- 1 gallon size zip lock bag.
- 4 12" pieces of heavy foil.
- Grill of choice: portable gas, or fire pit with wood or charcoal, starter fluid and flame source.
- Grill tongs and fire proof cooking mitts.
- Pre slice all vegetables at home, then place the vegetables in zip lock bag with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon light brown sugar, 1 sprig rosemary, all of the fresh thyme leaves, a pinch each of salt and fresh ground pepper. Best done the day before and store in fridge to marinate overnight.
- Toast the thick crusty bread slices on all sides in 2 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy cast iron skillet, let cool on paper towels, then wrap 2 slices each in separate sheets of foil. This is best to do the day of use.
- Prepare your outdoor grill to a medium heat for gas, for sand pit grill wood should be glowing but not flaming, charcoals grilling coals should be glowing not flaming.
- Fold the 2 remaining sheets of tin foil into pouches, then divide the vegetables evenly between the two pouches, discarding the rosemary sprig and any extra liquid. Crimp the foil pouches shut and place them on your grill or directly on the pit embers. Cook for 5 minutes, check to make sure vegetables are not scorching, then continue to cook until tender and golden about 10-15 minutes.
- Unfold the toasted bread foil packs, divide all of the mozzarella cheese evenly between both packs covering 1 slice of the toast only in each pack. Place 2 basil leaves on each of the cheese covered toast slices. When vegetables are done, pour the contents of each on the cheese covered slices. Top with the remaining toast and reseal the toast foil packs. Place the foil packs back to the grill and grill for 3-5 minutes or just until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!