Recipe by Chocolatl
A Swiss main-dish casserole with potatoes, sausage, cheese and eggs. Adapted from Cooking the Swiss Way.
Top Review by Pinay0618
I increased the garlic, salt and pepper in the mashed potatoes, and poached the eggs separately and added them after the casserole came out of the oven. Scarfed down in almost complete silence by the boys, which is a rare occurrence! Next time I'll add the cheese to the potatoes and try topping with a smoother melting cheese ... I really wasn't crazy about the texture of the Swiss on top, although I loved the flavor.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 4 large)
- water, to cover
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup smoked sausage, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons swiss cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine potatoes, water, garlic and salt in a pan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and place in a bowl.
- Discard garlic.
- Add milk, butter and white pepper.
- Mash well.
- Add sausage, green onions and butter and mix well.
- Spread mixture into a large well-greased oval casserole.
- With the back of a large, moistened spoon, make 4 deep depressions in mixture.
- Break an egg carefully into each depression.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated Swiss cheese.
- Bake until egg whites are firm, about 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.