Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Lively flavors and rich taste from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 2 cups thin white sauce (White Sauce (Cheesy or Not) Medium Sauce or your own recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup grated American cheese (any yellow cheese) or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (any yellow cheese) or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (any yellow cheese)
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 6 slices ham, broiled (thin slices)
- 6 slices bread, toasted and buttered
- 6 slices tomatoes, fried
- Butter six ramekins and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Break each egg into prepared ramekin, to which 1 tablespoon cream has been added.
- Bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare white sauce and just before ready add grated cheese, stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat and add beaten egg yolks gradually, stirring constantly; add sherry.
- Place a slice of ham on each slice of buttered toast, add a slice of fried tomato, the baked egg, and the sauce.