Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Please don't ask me what this means. I tried to look it up without success. My mother moved to a retirement home this summer and this was in her bag of recipes. Looks like a good breakfast dish for a crowd.
- 18 eggs, hard cooked
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried until crisp and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- buttered bread crumb
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Peel and slice thinly the hard boiled eggs.
- Make medium cream sauce using butter, flour, light cream and milk.
- Add Cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Season with garlic, thyme, marjoram and basil.
- Add parsley.
- Pour some of the cream sauce into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Add a layer of egg slices, then bacon crumbles and more cheese sauce.
- Continue until ingredients are used up, ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and crumbs are browned.
If the translation of this recipe tltle truly is "prize winning eggs", then it is aptly named & is what the 5* rating is all about in my book. I made 1/3 of this tasty, rich & company-worthy easy-fix for just 2 of us & got 4 generous servings using dried parsley as the only chg. I made it last nite, chilled it overnite & surprised DH w/a spec breakfast b4 he left for work. I served it w/simple toast points, but see it as a complete brunch meal if paired w/toast or bagels & some fruit. We loved this recipe & I can hardly wait to share it w/guests. Thx for sharing this "prize winner" w/us. :-)
I believe this translates into "prize winning eggs" :)