Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Mom's variation of Julia Child's Oeufs ¨¤ la Diable, using less mayo, a touch of olive oil in with the butter, and a sprinkling of paprika on top of the finished halves. I piped the filling into the whites for presentation's sake, since they were going to my stepbrother's engagement party.
- 1 1⁄2 dozen hard-boiled eggs (I make them like Sara Moulton, Mom prefers the old-fashioned boil to death method)
- 2 tablespoons real mayonnaise (or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- paprika, for sprinkling
- radishes, grape tomatoes, green onions (optional) or celery, for garnish (optional)
- Halve the eggs carefully and, using a small spoon, remove the yolks to the top of a potato ricer or food mill.
- Press the yolks through into a bowl and beat in the mayonnaise, oil, lemon zest, butter, relish, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into pastry bag (use a star tip for pretty filling!).
- Set egg whites on a flat surface and pipe even amounts of filling into each cavity. Dust with paprika.
- Place finished eggs on a serving platter (with additional garnish veggies if desired), cover and chill until needed.