Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This comfort meal recipe was given to me many years ago by a friend. It sure warms the innards on a nippy fall or winter day!
- 2 lbs smoked sausage or 2 lbs kielbasa
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, cut in wedges
- 2 (16 ounce) cans sauerkraut, 1 can drained
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 medium apples, seeded and cut into wedges
- 4 -6 red potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Brown sausage in butter in a frying pan then place in a 1 1/2-2 quart dutch oven or casserole dish.
- Arrange onion, sauerkraut, apples and potatoes around sausage (draining only 1 can of sauerkraut). Top with apple juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- If using dutch oven, cover tightly and simmer over low heat, stirring once, for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. If using oven, bake at 350 for 45 mins to 1 hours until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley if desired and serve.
this was great for a cold rainy night. The kids and I liked the kraut cause it wasn't too sour. Thanks for sharing Mareesme!