Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
What makes this salad different is that the salad is served warm or at almost room temperature, although it is still great served chilled also, but plan ahead the salad needs to sit for about an hour or so before serving to blend flavors, try not to overcook the potatoes as they tend to fall apart easily when mixed with the dressing, when I made this the first time I used 1/2 cup vinegar but found it to be too much for my family's taste, making this again I used only 1/3 cup and that seemed to work fine, if you prefer a stronger vinegar flavor then increase the vinegar by 2-4 tablespoons, you may use all vegetable oil in place of the bacon grease.
- 8 -10 slices uncooked bacon
- 3 lbs potatoes (peeled and sliced or chopped)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings (or add in oil to bacon grease to make 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar (use white or cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper (or to taste)
- In a skillet cook the bacon slices until almost crisp; remove to a plate (DO NOT discard the bacon grease!) chop or finely slice the cooked bacon; set aside.
- Place the sliced or cubed potatoes into a large pot; cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes until tender but still firm (about 12-15 minutes DO NOT overcook!) drain and transfer to a large bowl add in the onion.
- In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise, garlic powder, 1/4 cup bacon grease (can use 1/4 cup vegetable oil instead of bacon grease) vinegar, sugar, parsley, seasoned (or white) salt and black pepper; mix well to combine; pour over the cooked potatoes and gently toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the cooked bacon on top of the salad.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 or more hours before serving.
thanks for posting this recipe, I used to make this recipe all the time, I have not been able to find this for quite some time now, and was so excited to see this posted, this is an extra special good German Potato salad. Even people who do not like this type of salad love it. Thanks Kittencal.
Great recipe. Wouldn't change a thing. I will be adding this to my favourites for sure.