Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Be sure to have your German beer ready to go with this!
Make and share this Octoberfest Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Skillet recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb fresh bratwurst (about 5)
- 2 medium apples, cored, and sliced
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan, drain, and crumble; set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp of dripping in pan (or use butter or margarine if you prefer); add onion and garlic to drippings; cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, 2 cups water, apple cider, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over heat.
- Meanwhile, brown bratwurst in another skillet over medium heat until browned, turning to brown all sides.
- Add to sauerkraut mixture when it comes to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples, and cook, covered, for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are tender.
- Stir in the bacon, and discard the bay leaf; serve.