Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Be sure to have your German beer ready to go with this!
Make and share this Octoberfest Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Skillet recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb fresh bratwurst (about 5)
- 2 medium apples, cored, and sliced
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan, drain, and crumble; set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp of dripping in pan (or use butter or margarine if you prefer); add onion and garlic to drippings; cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, 2 cups water, apple cider, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over heat.
- Meanwhile, brown bratwurst in another skillet over medium heat until browned, turning to brown all sides.
- Add to sauerkraut mixture when it comes to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples, and cook, covered, for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are tender.
- Stir in the bacon, and discard the bay leaf; serve.
MMMmmm MMmmm good! I cut the recipe in half and it was just fine.Got everything ready in the AM put it in a casserole dish and baked it covered in a 350 oven for 45 minutes. I had added all the ingredients step by step including the apples in before baking - took off the cover for the last 20 minutes. This recipe has given me an idea for another version that I may try in the future and if it works Sue of course I will credit this one for the inspiration!! Thanks for another great meal
Another great recipe! I think that next time though, I will skip the potatos and serve it over mashed potatos instead. Great flavor with the apples and kraut. I'll be keeping this one around.