Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Be sure to have your German beer ready to go with this!
Make and share this Octoberfest Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Skillet recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slice bacon
- 29.58 ml butter (optional) or 29.58 ml margarine (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 907.18 g sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 473.18 ml water
- 118.29 ml apple cider or 118.29 ml apple juice
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml instant chicken bouillon granules
- 4.92 ml caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 453.59 g fresh bratwurst (about 5)
- 2 medium apples, cored, and sliced
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan, drain, and crumble; set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp of dripping in pan (or use butter or margarine if you prefer); add onion and garlic to drippings; cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, 2 cups water, apple cider, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over heat.
- Meanwhile, brown bratwurst in another skillet over medium heat until browned, turning to brown all sides.
- Add to sauerkraut mixture when it comes to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples, and cook, covered, for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are tender.
- Stir in the bacon, and discard the bay leaf; serve.
MMMmmm MMmmm good! I cut the recipe in half and it was just fine.Got everything ready in the AM put it in a casserole dish and baked it covered in a 350 oven for 45 minutes. I had added all the ingredients step by step including the apples in before baking - took off the cover for the last 20 minutes. This recipe has given me an idea for another version that I may try in the future and if it works Sue of course I will credit this one for the inspiration!! Thanks for another great meal
Another great recipe! I think that next time though, I will skip the potatos and serve it over mashed potatos instead. Great flavor with the apples and kraut. I'll be keeping this one around.