Sue Lau's Note:
Be sure to have your German beer ready to go with this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slice bacon
- 29.58 ml butter (optional) or 29.58 ml margarine (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 907.18 g sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 473.18 ml water
- 118.29 ml apple cider or 118.29 ml apple juice
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml instant chicken bouillon granules
- 4.92 ml caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 453.59 g fresh bratwurst (about 5)
- 2 medium apples, cored, and sliced
- 1Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan, drain, and crumble; set aside.
- 2Drain off all but 2 tbsp of dripping in pan (or use butter or margarine if you prefer); add onion and garlic to drippings; cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, 2 cups water, apple cider, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway, and bay leaf.
- 4Bring to a boil over heat.
- 5Meanwhile, brown bratwurst in another skillet over medium heat until browned, turning to brown all sides.
- 6Add to sauerkraut mixture when it comes to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add apples, and cook, covered, for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are tender.
- 8Stir in the bacon, and discard the bay leaf; serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Octoberfest Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.9
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 2292.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 17.5 g