Recipe by ellie_
A delicious dessert to serve during apple season. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1984)
Top Review by Annacia
Thanks so much for posting this one ellie. I had to make the recipe more diabetic friendly so I used 50/50 unbleached white and coarse whole wheat flours, a scant 3/4 cup of Splenda and a more heart healthy margarine. I made the recipe into muffins because I like to freeze them and have something on hand for afternoon coffee when the mood strikes. I got 1 grated apple in and stopped at that because it took a bit to incorporate the flour mix and it was already apple stuffed. The end muffins are truly yummy. :D
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 apples, peeled and grated
For the caramel sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray a 8-inch square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray (Pam) or grease pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar. Beat in egg. Stir in flour, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Fold in apples.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cake is done and toothpick comes clean when inserted in cake.
- Cut in squares when cool and serve with hot caramel sauce (recipe follows).
- To make caramel sauce melt butter in saucepan over low heat and then add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Remove caramel sauce from heat and serve over apple cake squares.