Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
Sometime back I saw a post requesting this recipe, which I was able to locate, but now can't find the request...go figure! So gonna post it now and hope someday to find who asked for it.
- 2 lbs oxtails, disjointed or 2 veal tails
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- In a 4 quart Dutch Oven brown oxtail and onion in hot oil for several minutes. Add water, salt and peppercorns; simmer uncovered about 2 hours. Cover and continue to simmer for 3 additional hours.
- Add the parsley, carrots, celery, bay leaf, tomatoes,and thyme; continue simmering for 30 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
- Strain stock and refrigerate for an hour or more. In a blender puree the edible meat and vegetables and reserve. Remove fat from top of stock and reheat.
- In a large frypan brown flour over high heat. Cool slightly. Add butter, blend.
- A little at a time add the stock and vegetables. Correct seasoning to taste and add madeira just before serving.