Recipe by carole in orlando
I am the proud mom and grandmom of two firefighters for Orange County, Florida. I made this soup and took some to the station to test it and it was a success. It can be modified to be less spicey by using kielbasa or smoked sausage instead of chorizo.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, canned
- 15 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 green cabbage, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and the chorizo (sliced in coin slices) until vegetables are soft.
- In a large pot add the sauteed veggies and sausage and the rest of the ingredients.
- I chop the cabbage in about 1 to 2 inch pieces. Drain just the top juice from the canned beans.
- Simmer, covered, until the cabbage is tender and the flavors have blended together, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with French bread and some fresh fruit.