Whatever am I doing posting a fall-winter recipe in May? I know! Using up leftover cornbread! The meat is definitely optional. I used orange-essence dried cranberries from Trader Joe's. The sweetness of the cornbread balances and complements well with the tartness of the cranberries. If you choose to use dried cranberries, reduce amount by half. The recipe itself can be easily doubled. From the oceanspray.com website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups leftover cornbread, cubed
- 2 -3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional, read *Note) or 1/2 lb sausage meat, cooked, drained and crumbled (optional, read *Note) or 2 -3 sliced tempeh bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional, read *Note)
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh, frozen or dried)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (replacing thyme) or 2 teaspoons dried parsley (replacing thyme)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional, my addition)
- 1*Note: I've prepared this recipe with and without the meat. For the sausage in the original recipe I used instead Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties making "sausage" from ground turkey or chicken. It worked really well for this dressing. I have never prepared the dressing using sausage, only the sausage substitute as indicated. Test on Friday.
- 2Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 3Combine all ingredients, except chicken broth (and butter if using), in an oiled or buttered medium casserole dish.
- 4Add broth; mix well.
- 5Add more broth for a moister stuffing. (I like my dressing/stuffing moist, therefore I add closer to 3/4 cup of broth but don't add too much liquid or you'll have bread-y goo.) If desired, dot the top of the dressing with the butter.
- 6Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ocean Spray's Cape Cod Cranberry Dressing (Stuffing)
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.3
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 183.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: