Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was a recipe that a friend of a friend gave to me. I tweaked it a bit to my family's taste. If you do not have hash browns use bread for the bottom. We like to have his on a weekend morning and the kids love to see the egg occupy the bacon.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray (or use a silicone muffin pan).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange the bacon in the skillet in a single layer and cooked until its fat is mostly rendered but it’s still pliable, about 5 minutes.
- Put about 1 ounce of hash browns in the bottom of each muffin cup and gently press with the back of a spoon. Keep any remaining hash browns warm and serve on the side. (If using bread, cut two 2-inch circles out of each slice of bread. Place a bread circle in the bottom of each muffin cup.).
- Wrap a slice of bacon around the edge of each muffin cup.
- One by one, crack the eggs into center of bacon and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the egg white is set, 10-12 minutes (longer if you like your yolks firm). Using a thin knife or offset spatula, remove the bacon-egg cups from the pan. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Serve.
So cute! I served these to overnight guests. I wasn't sure that they would stay together and/or that I would be able to get them out of the muffin tins, but it all worked perfectly. I served more bacon and hash browns on the side. Thank you for an inventive and impressive breakfast recipe!
So good! I only made one so used a 6 oz custard cup. Used the hash browns and had hoped they would get brown on the bottom but that may be my use of glass instead of metal for a baking dish. Regardless, this was delicious! I used pre-cooked bacon (2 slices) and that made it super easy! Forgot the cheese until after taking a picture but did add a sprinkle of jack cheese before scarfing LOL Thanks for sharing!
I made 2 of these using silicone cups and the bread option. They turned out perfect and made a terrific breakfast. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.