Top Review by Mirj
Very interesting recipe! I made this last night together with my daughter who dropped in from boarding school to do her laundry. While we were waiting for the clothes to stop spinning we made this together. You should know that I am not a fan of rolling out dough, so any recipe that calls for pressing in the dough is a recipe for me! I used all fresh fruit (apples, persimmons, strawberries and pears), so I whizzed up one cup of the stuff with my hand blender to make the fruit juice (more pulp than juice). The one major change I made was to sub pecans for almonds since Sushiman is allergic to almonds. Also, usually I made my desserts non-dairy with margarine and soy whipping cream, but this time I heeded NoraMarie's instructions and didn't use margarine. I felt very decadent using butter and cream. The recipe is a bit fiddly, pre-baking the shell, cooking the fruit, and I didn't know what to do with the raw meringue/nut coating that covered the torte after it was chilled with the fruit in it, so I blasted it in the oven just to cook/brown it. That's the only reason I didn't give this recipe 5 stars, simply because of the confusion. All in all a lovely dessert, perfect with a cup of tea late in the evening. Thanks, NoraMarie!
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, NO margarine
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups fruit, fresh, canned, frozen
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, if fresh fruit is used
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg yolks; mix to form dough.
- Press dough into bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Dough should come 1 1/2 inches up the sides.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until pastry is firm and light brown.
- Drain canned or frozen fruit, reserving juice.
- Crush 1 cup of fresh fruit to make juice.
- Add sugar to fresh fruit and let stand 1/2 hour.
- Drain juice and add water to make 1 cup.
- Mix cornstarch and fruit juice.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Place whole fruit in baked pastry shell.
- Pour thickened fruit juice over top.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Carefully remove torte from springform pan.
- ALMOND COATING:.
- Beat egg white until foamy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar. beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Spread the meringue around the outside of the pastry shell.
- Press in the almonds so that they completely cover the sides.
- Gently fold sugar and vanilla into whipped cream.
- Spread over the fruit.
- Garnish with sliced toasted almonds, if desired.