Prep 0 mins
Cook 13 mins
Bacon Rolled Enokitake Mushrooms with a Chive or a Garlic Sprout variation. Simple but dramatic.
- 1 lb fresh enoki mushrooms
- 6 slices bacon, strips rindless smokey fatty
- 4 lemon wedges
- fresh ground white pepper
- Cut the root off of the enokitake mushrooms. [about 3/4 inch from end].
- Do NOT separate stems. Cut bacon lenghtwise if you need to cut it.
- Divide mushrooms into 12 bunches. Place one bunch near end of bacon strip. You should see 1 to 1/2 inches of the mushroom at end of bacon.
- Carefully roll the strip. Tuck stray short stems inside roll. Slide the bacon up slightly to cover about 1 1/2 inch of the mushrooms [it is going to lap over] Secure ends with toothpick.
- Preheat Grill or broiler to highest heat. Place roll on oiled or pammed wire rack. Grill until bacon is crisp and mushrooms start to burn. About 10 to 13 minutes.
- Remove rolls and place on board. Use a fork and knife, chop each roll in half in middle of bacon belt. Arrange the top half standing upright and the bottom half lying next to it.
- Serve with lemon and white pepper.
- You can sub chives in place of the mushrooms. You can also use garlic shoots when they are 4 1/2 inches long.