1/3 Photos of Obie's Smothered Pork Chops
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 20 mins
From the cookbook, "Harlem Really Cooks" by the late Harlem historian and gourmand Sandra Lawrence. "Obie" was a friend of hers who owned a nightclub/restaurant and smothered chops were one of the many specialties made there. The use of pancake mix in lieu of plain flour gives this dish a slight sweetness along with the sugar as well. The only change I made was the addition of mushrooms to the gravy. Serve with Sauteed Potatoes With Apples - I hope you like it. And please, do buy the book. *Note: If you don't eat pork for religious or health reasons, turkey chops are a fine substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 center cut 1-inch pork chops
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup aunt jemima's pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Rinse chops, then pat them dry. Sprinkle with spices mentioned above. Then dredge into pancake mix.
- 3Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chops into the skillet. Brown the chops on both sides. Remove from the skillet and place in a roasting pan.
- 4In the skillet, now saute the onions and mushrooms with the salt, pepper and sugar until slightly browned.
- 5Stir in the flour until absorbed. Gradually add the boiling water, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens and boils.
- 6Place chops in the pan; cover tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour and twenty minutes; the chops and gravy should be a rich golden brown.
- 7Place chops on a serving platter; either place gravy on top, or strain through sieve and put gravy in a gravy boat; skim fat off top and serve.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Obie's Smothered Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.4
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 207.6 mg
- Sodium 1435.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 65.4 g