Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A rich and creamy cheese spread that someone was kind enough to share. This Bavarian delicacy is normally served in Beergardens together with fresh pretzels or rye bread and some nice German wheat beer. You may have let the cheese get to room temperature to mix. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ripe camembert cheese or 1 lb brie cheese, rind removed
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped, divided
- 1⁄4 onion, finely chopped
- salt and freshly pepper
- caraway seed
- 6 -8 tablespoons beer, to taste
- onion, finely sliced rings for garnish
- Mix the Camembert or Brie, butter, cream cheese, 1 tablespoon chives and onion together until you get a spreadable mixture.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika and caraway seeds to taste.
- Add some beer to make the mixture even more smooth and to taste.
- Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with remaining chives and onion rings.
I love camembert and I love beer, so what's not to like about this recipe? I made this rich, tasty cheese spread to take to a BBQ yesterday. We enjoyed it. I would say I ended up using 1 tsp of paprika and 1 tsp of caraway, which seemed about right to us. As prepared by me yesterday, I would give this about 4.5 stars. Comments included that the consistency was a little too soupy and that I used gluten-free beer because one of the guests has Celiac's. However, these issues are easily remedied. Next time, I won't whip it with my hand mixer, just a spoon, and because the beer taste is pretty pronounced, I will use a flavorful wheat beer. My friend with Celiac's actually said she would prefer to skip the appy and take comfort in the fact I used real beer than to eat something with the gluten-free beer. Who knew? Ha! Ha! Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT6.
Made for ZWT6 & our Tues appy nite, I gotta tell ya Nif that ~ Just about the time I am sure I have tasted the best ZWT6 has to offer, along comes an easy recipe like this to knock my socks off! This is cream-rich, full of the yummy Camembert flavor & all the parts of the whole make it spec. I did use red onion to add color, but otherwise made a half recipe as written since there is just 2 of us. I am happily looking forward to the leftovers for my lunch today. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)