Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Former Top Chef contestant and owner of Good Stuff Eatery in Washington, D.C., chef Spike Mendelsohn, shared his recipe for the Vegetarians Are People Too 'Shroom Burger(I have renamed it), a dish he created in celebration of Barack Obama's inauguration, with Oprah Winfrey. And now I can share it with you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil (or peanut oil)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch thyme (about 2 tbls.)
- 8 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices muenster cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (Panko is best)
- 2 cups flour
- 6 eggs
- 6 potato buns (or hamburger buns)
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 pickle
- 1 red onion
Good Stuff Sauce
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 ounce molasses
- 1 ounce rice vinegar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- To make sauce:.
- In a food processor pour all ingredients and blend for 5 minutes, until well blended. Set aside. You will only need 1 cup sauce for this recipe.
- To make 'shroom burgers:.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- In a bowl, toss together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped thyme, 1/2 tablespoon of cracked black pepper.
- In a roasting pan, place mushrooms, stem side up. Roast for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Take 1 mushroom and stuff with 2 slices of each cheese and place another mushroom on top, to make a sandwich.
- Place a sauté pan on medium heat with 2 cups of olive oil(or peanut oil).
- Lightly beat eggs in one bowl.
- Set up another 2 bowls, 1 of flour and 1 of breadcrumbs.
- Flour mushrooms, put into egg mixture to coat, then into breadcrumbs.
- Gently place breaded mushrooms into hot oil with slotted spoon, being careful not to splash yourself.
- Cook until golden brown on each side. Remove and place onto a paper towel lined dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slice tomato into 4 slices. Slice the pickle into small rounds, and cut onion into thin slices.
- In the meantime, toast buns in a toaster or a pan with a tablespoon of butter.
- To assemble burger, on the bottom bun place a mushroom patty, top with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice of tomato, sliced pickles and thinly sliced onion.
- Take top of bun, spread 1 tablespoon of Good Stuff Sauce and place on top.
- Ready to serve and enjoy!
Although I'm not a big fan of the mushroom unless it's raw, I must admit that I really enjoyed these ~ Think it was the cheeses & the Good Stuff Sauce that did it! Even had a great time making these burgers, too, even though they're not something I'll make very often considering the amount of fat & sodium & cholesterol they contain! Still, a guy's gotta splurge once in a while! [Tagged, made & reviewed in And the SECRET INGREDIENT Is . . . }