Former Top Chef contestant and owner of Good Stuff Eatery in Washington, D.C., chef Spike Mendelsohn, shared his recipe for the Vegetarians Are People Too 'Shroom Burger(I have renamed it), a dish he created in celebration of Barack Obama's inauguration, with Oprah Winfrey. And now I can share it with you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil (or peanut oil)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch thyme (about 2 tbls.)
- 8 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (Panko is best)
- 2 cups flour
- 6 eggs
- 6 potato buns (or hamburger buns)
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 pickle
- 1 red onion
Good Stuff Sauce
- 1To make sauce:.
- 2In a food processor pour all ingredients and blend for 5 minutes, until well blended. Set aside. You will only need 1 cup sauce for this recipe.
- 3To make 'shroom burgers:.
- 4Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- 5In a bowl, toss together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped thyme, 1/2 tablespoon of cracked black pepper.
- 6In a roasting pan, place mushrooms, stem side up. Roast for 20 minutes or until soft.
- 7Remove from oven and let cool.
- 8Take 1 mushroom and stuff with 2 slices of each cheese and place another mushroom on top, to make a sandwich.
- 9Place a sauté pan on medium heat with 2 cups of olive oil(or peanut oil).
- 10Lightly beat eggs in one bowl.
- 11Set up another 2 bowls, 1 of flour and 1 of breadcrumbs.
- 12Flour mushrooms, put into egg mixture to coat, then into breadcrumbs.
- 13Gently place breaded mushrooms into hot oil with slotted spoon, being careful not to splash yourself.
- 14Cook until golden brown on each side. Remove and place onto a paper towel lined dish.
- 15Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 16Slice tomato into 4 slices. Slice the pickle into small rounds, and cut onion into thin slices.
- 17In the meantime, toast buns in a toaster or a pan with a tablespoon of butter.
- 18To assemble burger, on the bottom bun place a mushroom patty, top with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice of tomato, sliced pickles and thinly sliced onion.
- 19Take top of bun, spread 1 tablespoon of Good Stuff Sauce and place on top.
- 20Ready to serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Obama's Inaugural Shroom Burger
Serving Size: 1 (741 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2153.1
- Calories from Fat 1545
- Total Fat 171.7 g
- Saturated Fat 43.0 g
- Cholesterol 460.3 mg
- Sodium 5684.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 51.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: