Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is Presidential candidate Barack Obama's family chili recipe that he's been using for years. I live in Denver and saw something about the Brown Hotel making this recipe for the guests during the 2008 Democrat National Convention.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g ground turkey or 453.59 g beef
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml ground oregano
- 1.23 ml ground turmeric
- 1.23 ml ground basil
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 44.37 ml red wine vinegar
- tomatoes, several depending on size, chopped
- 425.24 g can red kidney beans
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
- Add red wine vinegar.
- Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.
- Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.
What a waste of ingredients.
Some thing about this recipe leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Possibly a little too LIBERAL with the turmeric.
Since this chili had different ingredients that what I generally use for my own chili creations I wanted to try it. It was nothing too spectacular so I ended up adding ingredients to the end product to make it more palatable. I felt the fresh tomatoes didn't really add much broth to the chili so I ended up adding 1/2 of a large can of tomato sauce. I also added 3 jalapenos, garlic salt, chili con carne seasoning, ancho chili, crushed red peppers and cumin. I am not a fan of turmeric but added it initially. Still not a fan of it (lol).