Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is Presidential candidate Barack Obama's family chili recipe that he's been using for years. I live in Denver and saw something about the Brown Hotel making this recipe for the guests during the 2008 Democrat National Convention.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g ground turkey or 453.59 g beef
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml ground oregano
- 1.23 ml ground turmeric
- 1.23 ml ground basil
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 44.37 ml red wine vinegar
- tomatoes, several depending on size, chopped
- 425.24 g can red kidney beans
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
- Add red wine vinegar.
- Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.
- Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.
Wow! What a great bowl of spicy and innovative chili! This is JUST the CHANGE our family needed to wake us up and excite our palates. After years of the same tired old chili, we were looking for something new and this was fit the bill perfectly. Thanks SO much for posting!
What a waste of ingredients.
Some thing about this recipe leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Possibly a little too LIBERAL with the turmeric.