This is Presidential candidate Barack Obama's family chili recipe that he's been using for years. I live in Denver and saw something about the Brown Hotel making this recipe for the guests during the 2008 Democrat National Convention.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground basil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- tomato, several depending on size, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
- Add red wine vinegar.
- Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.
- Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.