Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Better Homes & Gardens Mexican Edition
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 fresh poblano peppers, seeded and finely chopped or 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers, drained
- 1 fresh serrano chili peppers, or jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped or 1 can jalapeno pepper, rinsed, drained, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet cook carrot, onion, poblano pepper, serrano pepper, and garlic in hot oil for 3 minutes.
- Still in the uncooked rice. Cook and stir contstantly over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- Carefully stir in broth and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add green beans, cover and cook for 5 more minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Stir in black beans and heat through.