Recipe by Happy Harry #2
These nuts improve with standing. The first time I put several in my mouth, I was left with a three alarm fire for hours! I've calmed these down quite a bit. This recipe was adapted from a 1972 Sunset cookbook.
- 20 serrano chilies, dried (about 1 inch long)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced (or pressed)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs virgina salted peanuts, blanched
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat chiles, minced garlic, and olive oil in a heavy pan for 1 minute. Stir so the chiles won't scorch.
- Mix in the peanuts and stir over medium heat, or spread on a cooky sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and chile powder.
- Mix well and store in a covered jar or tin along with the whole garlic cloves, at least a day before serving.