Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A zesty and piquant recipe courtesy of Priscila Satcoff.
Make and share this Oaxacan Lamb Shanks Mole - Mixiote De Borrego En Mole Coloradito recipe from Food.com.
For the mole sauce
- 6 plum tomatoes, roasted in a 375 degree oven until blackened
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted
- water, for consistency
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly-ground black peppercorns, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, toasted (Mexican preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, toasted
- 8 ancho chilies
- 6 guajillo chilies
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 ounces mexican chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
For the lamb shanks
- 4 lamb shanks (medium to large)
- canola oil, for searing
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 (12 inch) square banana leaves (available in the frozen section of Mexican markets)
- Prepare the mole sauce by combining tomatoes and garlic cloves in your blender and whirl until smooth, adding water if necessary.
- Strain and set aside.
- Grind the sesame seeds, peppercorns, oregano and cinnamon all together; set to the side.
- Make a lengthwise cut on 1 side of each ancho and guajillo chile and remove seeds. Place chiles in a heat resistant bowl and cover with boiling water; soak for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Place chiles and the water they've been soaking in in a blender.
- Whirl until smooth, strain and set to the side.
- In a stockpot, heat up about 3 tablespoons of oil and add the dried spices, stirring constantly to release the fragrant oils.
- Add the two purees and bring to a boil.
- Add the chocolate, sugar; salt to taste and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt; sear shanks on all sides in a hot skillet with a little oil added.
- Place some of the mole sauce in a bowl.
- Dip each shank in mole sauce, sprinkle with vinegar, chopped onion and salt; wrap in a banana leaf and then in aluminum foil.
- Place shanks in a pan and bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until the meat is.
- very tender and falling off the bone.
- Place shank on a plate and top with additional warm mole sauce.