4 hrs 40 mins
A zesty and piquant recipe courtesy of Priscila Satcoff.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the mole sauce
- 6 plum tomatoes, roasted in a 375 degree oven until blackened
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted
- water, for consistency
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black peppercorns, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, toasted (Mexican preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, toasted
- 8 ancho chilies
- 6 guajillo chilies
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 ounces mexican chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the lamb shanks
- 1Prepare the mole sauce by combining tomatoes and garlic cloves in your blender and whirl until smooth, adding water if necessary.
- 2Strain and set aside.
- 3Grind the sesame seeds, peppercorns, oregano and cinnamon all together; set to the side.
- 4Make a lengthwise cut on 1 side of each ancho and guajillo chile and remove seeds. Place chiles in a heat resistant bowl and cover with boiling water; soak for 20 minutes or until soft.
- 5Place chiles and the water they've been soaking in in a blender.
- 6Whirl until smooth, strain and set to the side.
- 7In a stockpot, heat up about 3 tablespoons of oil and add the dried spices, stirring constantly to release the fragrant oils.
- 8Add the two purees and bring to a boil.
- 9Add the chocolate, sugar; salt to taste and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 10Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 11Season the lamb shanks with salt; sear shanks on all sides in a hot skillet with a little oil added.
- 12Place some of the mole sauce in a bowl.
- 13Dip each shank in mole sauce, sprinkle with vinegar, chopped onion and salt; wrap in a banana leaf and then in aluminum foil.
- 14Place shanks in a pan and bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until the meat is.
- 15very tender and falling off the bone.
- 16Place shank on a plate and top with additional warm mole sauce.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oaxacan Lamb Shanks Mole - Mixiote De Borrego En Mole Coloradito
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 982.5
- Calories from Fat 448
- Total Fat 49.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 198.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 35.7 g
- Protein 77.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: