A burger with topped with a quickie version of mole sauce, queso fresco, and avocado. Adapted from Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries and Shakes. You can use semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet, but I personally don't care much for sweet moles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon new mexico chile powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained, pureed
- 1/4 cup corn tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1Place almonds in a dry saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Toast, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove and set aside.
- 4Increase heat to high.
- 5Add oil and heat until it begins to shimmer.
- 6Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- 7Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- 8Stir in Ancho and New Mexico powders and cook for 1 minute.
- 9Add almonds and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- 10Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 11Add tortilla chips and cook for about 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- 12Carefully transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- 13Return to pan over high heat.
- 14Add chocolate, honey and maple syrup.
- 15Cook until reduced to a sauce consistency, about 5 minutes.
- 16Season and keep warm.
- 17Divide meat into 4 equal portions.
- 18Shape each into a patty and make a depression in the center.
- 19Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- 20Heat oil over high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- 21Cook burgers to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- 22Top with sauce, queso fresco, avocado wedges and pickled onions, if using.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oaxacan Burger (Bobby Flay)
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 810.7
- Calories from Fat 480
- Total Fat 53.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.3 mg
- Sodium 422.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 38.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: