Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
A burger with topped with a quickie version of mole sauce, queso fresco, and avocado. Adapted from Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries and Shakes. You can use semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet, but I personally don't care much for sweet moles.
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon new mexico chile powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained, pureed
- 1⁄4 cup corn tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck (or turkey)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, toasted if desired
- 2 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- pickled onion (optional)
- Place almonds in a dry saucepan over medium heat.
- Toast, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Increase heat to high.
- Add oil and heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in Ancho and New Mexico powders and cook for 1 minute.
- Add almonds and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add tortilla chips and cook for about 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Carefully transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return to pan over high heat.
- Add chocolate, honey and maple syrup.
- Cook until reduced to a sauce consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Season and keep warm.
- Divide meat into 4 equal portions.
- Shape each into a patty and make a depression in the center.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Cook burgers to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Top with sauce, queso fresco, avocado wedges and pickled onions, if using.