Recipe by chia
this recipe is from rick bayless mexican kitchen cookbook. it's a bit different as it uses no additional spices and contains shrimp. it tastes even better the second day.
Top Review by mdargen
I love this recipe. I think it is my favorite Rick Bayless recipe. Since I have a 4 year old daughter I have had to make some changes. I leave out the chorizo and chipotle. Instead of the chorizo I add chicken thighs to the beans when they are boiling and make a chipotle sour cream to add as a topper to the soup. I also serve chopped radishes, cilantro, avocado, queso fresco, and chopped onions to spoon on as toppers. This soup is perfection!
- 12 ounces black beans, picked over
- 6 cups water
- 1 stalk fennel, chopped
- 4 -6 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed,chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- salt, to taste
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup oil, to garnish (optional)
- 4 -6 corn tortillas, cut in strips,to garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- place beans in a 4 qt pot, cover with 6 c water, bring to a boil.
- remove from heat and let it sit 1 hour, drain.
- add beans back to the pot with 6 c water, bring to a boil, lower to simmer.
- add chorizo, fennel, onions, chipoltes, partially cover the pot and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.
- use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or do it in batches in a blender.
- add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes until done.
- heat oil in a skillet.
- add tortillas in batches, fry until crisp.
- drain on paper towels.
- serve the soup topped with tortilla strips and sprinkled with queso fresco.