Recipe by Scandigirl
Eat your fiber!!! A nice and easy bread recipe I once got from Fleischman's Yeast. I often remove 1 cup of unbleached white and add 1 cup whole wheat as it's a lot better for us.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats or 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup natural bran
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 packages fast rising yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- wheat germ or oats, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water, yogurt, and oil to simmering.
- Stir in oats, wheat germ and bran.
- Set aside until cooled to very warm (120 to 130 F) about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, brown sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt.
- Add cooled bran mixture, blend well.
- Stir in 1 egg and enough remaining flour to mnake a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Cover; let rest on floured table 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each half to 12x7-inch rectangle.
- Beginning at short end of each, roll up tightly as for jelly roll.
- Pinch seams and ends to seal.
- Place, seam sides down, in 2 greased 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
- With sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slashes (1/4 inch deep) on each loaf.
- Lightly beat remaining egg; brush on loaves.
- Sprinkle with wheat germ or oats.
- Bake at 375 F for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks.