Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious and moist !
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 300 ml natural yoghurt
- 200 g currants
- 150 ml milk
- Place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, stir till combined.
- Mix together molasses,yoghurt, currants and milk and add to dry ingredients.
- Beat till a smooth, thick batter forms.
- Grease loaf tin , 20 x 13 cms.
- Pour batter into tin, leave to stand 10 minutes.
- This allow oats to swell and absorb liquid.
- Bake at 180 C for 55 - 60 minutes.
- Serve sliced and buttered.
This is a very moist bread! I was intrigued by the use of yogurt instead of oil, and it's a technique I will use again. The molasses was a bit too strong for my tastes, would probably decrease that and increase the brown sugar a bit next time. Thanks for sharing!
YUM, this bread is sooo good. Its very fruity with a great moist texture and lovely crunch to the crust. I loved how easy this was to prepare and how yummy it tasted. I used half whole wheat flour, left out the molasses due to all of those raisins being very sweet and decided to make muffins out of the recipe. That worked out very well and I ended up with a very satisfying breakfast muffin. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a real keeper with us, Kate!
Made and reviewed for Everyday Tag Game October 2011.