Recipe by mamazee #2
This recipe is as near as a South African 'Woolies' choc chip cookie as can be... It was adapted from 2 other recipes to get the texture and taste to satisfaction
- 250 g butter or 250 g margarine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coconut
- 2 cups oats
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup pecan nuts, chopped
- 1 cup chocolate, nibs or 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix syrup, bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar till slightly creamed, add flour sugar and coconut to the creamed mixture.
- Add choc chips and nuts and fold into dough, you may need to use flour carefully so that the dough does not feel too dry.
- Roll dough into sausage shape 2cm in diameter approximately.
- Cut into 1 cm slices and place on baking sheet, do not smooth top, leave looking rough, simply push in choc chips if they are loose.
- Bake in moderate oven till golden brown.
- When all the cookies are baked switch off oven and place all cookies next to each other in once or 2 pans and replace in oven and leave for a couple of hours until crisp.
- Keep in airtight tin, and if they soften re-dry in oven.
- Eat plain or pipe squiggly line over with melted milky bar chocolate.