Recipe by Deb's Recipes
Here's a delicious bread you can feel really good about giving to your family! It's a light-textured, healthful and hearty loaf with a nice nutty-flavor. And it's so easy to make with the help of a KitchenAid stand mixer.
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unprocessed oat bran (I use Quaker Oat Bran Hot Cereal)
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- additional all-purpose flour, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, honey, and oil; set aside to cool; meanwhile, sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water; let stand about 5 minutes until foamy.
- Stir together cooled milk mixture, proofed yeast mixture, egg, salt, oat bran, oatmeal, and wheat flour; gradually stir (in KitchenAid stand mixer on low speed #1) until a soft dough comes together to form a smooth ball; add additional bread flour a tablespoon or two at a time if necessary.
- Knead (in KitchenAid stand mixer on medium speed #2) about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough into oiled bowl; cover bowl and place in a warm place; allow dough to rise about an hour until doubled.
- Punch down dough; let rise again 30-45 minutes until once-again doubled; you may, if desired, skip this second rise and simply let the dough rest 10 minutes before shaping it into a loaf.
- Shape dough into a loaf; place in a greased loaf pan; cover and let rise again about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- NOTE: The honey in this recipe may be replaced with your choice of molasses, corn syrup, brown sugar, or white sugar.