Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made this up for breakfast this morning because I had some strawberries that were slightly over-ripe. The sauce is modified from a strawberry shortcake recipe by Sherry Yard, from the Food and Wine 2004 cookbook. Although I thought it was sweet enough with just the strawberry sauce, you may want to serve it with whatever sweetener you prefer with your oatmeal. A little cream may also be nice, but I didn't have any.
For the Sauce
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 whole star anise
For the Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds (toasted if you like)
- First, prepare the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and crush lightly with a potato masher. Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat until the strawberries lose their bright red color, about 2 minutes. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on the solids to extract as much of the juice as possible; set aside.
- To prepare the oatmeal, heat the water in a medium saucepan until almost boiling. Stir in the oats and break up any lumps that begin to form. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Give the oatmeal a good stir and pour into individual bowls.
- Top each serving of oatmeal with some of the sauce (you can swirl it through decoratively if you like) and top with a portion of the almonds. Serve immediately.