Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Delicious and healthy whole grain bread. This bread has a soft easily sliceable texture.Slightly sweet and great for sandwiches, toast or french toast. If you like a softer whole grain bread you will love this bread! I wanted a softer healthy bread that my family would eat so I developed this recipe. Hope you love it as much as we do.
- Using bread machine:
- Add first 6 ingredients together in bread machine pan, let sit for 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Add vegetable oil, bread flour and salt. Let the bread machine mix and knead the dough. If dough is too stiff or too wet add a little more flour or water to make a smooth slightly sticky dough. Turn off bread machine before the rise cycle begins and put dough into a large oiled bowl to rise. Cover and let double in size ( about 35-45 minutes).
- Note: This recipe can be made by hand or mixed and kneaded with a kitchen-aid mixer. * If using all-purpose flour add 1 Tablespoon Vital wheat gluten.
- After first rise punch dough down and divide into two equal pieces. On a lightly oiled or floured surface; punch out air bubbles and shape each piece of dough into a loaf and place into two oiled 9x5 bread pans, cover and let rise again until double or until dough is about 1 inch over tops of pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. ( if getting too brown on top cover with foil last 15 minutes of baking) Remove from bread pans and turn out onto cooling rack. For softer crust spread butter over tops of loaves while still warm. Let cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
This bread is wonderful. I was very pleased with it's rise and it had wonderful crumb and flavor. Oatmeal bread is one of my favorites and this particular recipe will be made again for certain. Made for PAC Spring 2013.