Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Taste of Home. One of my first attempts at making bread many moons ago - yields a very tasty, slightly sweet and wholesome bread.
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110 to 115 )
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- butter or margarine, Melted
- In a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, oats, molasses,shortening, orange juice and salt; let stand until warm (110-115).
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture.
- Add whole wheat flour and beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6- 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Shape into two loaves; place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Remove from pans; brush with butter or margarine.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).