Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
A healthy loaf of bread. The original recipe for this whole grain bread dates back to the early immigrants from Scotland. This makes a 2 pound loaf. The recipe comes from redstaryeast.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup oatmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 2⁄3 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 -2 teaspoon oatmeal
- Place room temperature ingredients in pan of bread machine in order listed; Set on dough setting; add walnuts in the last five minutes of last kneading.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles; shape into a round loaf and place on greased baking sheet, cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching.
- Make glaze, combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water, brush top of loaf, sprinkle with oatmeal; Bake in preheated 375°F oven 35 to 40 minutes; remove from oven, cool on rack.
I thought this bread was great. It didn't taste wheaty/healthy and was wonderfully hearty but moist with a really nice flavor. I will have to use 3/4 of the recipe next time it was too much for my bread machine. Thanks so much for the recipe I will use it often.
This is a great Bread recipe. I baked it in two loaf pans for about 30 minutes each and it turned out perfect. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Awesome Bread!! Lots of walnut flavor! I didn't have any molasses and used karyo syrup and maple syrup, and I didn't have any whole wheat flour - just used all purpose white. I also added 1/4 tsp of maple flavoring. Excellent Bread and easy to make!! Thanks for sharing Barb! Everyone at work loved it too!